Saturday, August 26, 2006

Thoughts on a Rainy Day

Yesterday was a nice day for me, because the staff at the affiliate threw a surprise birthday party for me. At my last job, occasionally, I would take off on my birthday or even go out of town, just to avoid any celebration. But yesterday's celebration was nice and thoughtful. I really don't like being the center of spectacle, but these were people that were genuinely wishing me well and maybe now that I'm a bit more comfortable in my own skin, I can accept it as that.

Today, I don't feel as though there is anything new and interesting to report from Baton Rouge. That, and because it is my birthday are probably two of the reasons why I even read my horoscope. Now, I don't usually do that - it really is an indicator that I'm bored and I'm actually sorry to share it here. But, it seems poignant (to me and the approximately 6.6e9/12 other humans who share my zodiac sign).
"Today you could learn a lesson ... and that lesson is that positive collaboration can move mountains. You have power and passion, but if you can gather up one or two other people who share your passion, your power will grow exponentially. Do what it takes to make a healthy group dynamic -- focus on the big picture and encourage other people to keep personal issues out of things."
Ahhh, hope!

Which made me think to share a few other quotes I've collected over the past year. Ones that continue to inspire me, and give credit to those I've collected them from.

First, is the famous quote attributed to Margaret Mead:
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has"
Next, is Nelson Mandela's charge against poverty and challenge to the G8 to respond with action:
"Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings. And overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice. It is the protection of a fundamental human right, the right to dignity and a decent life. While poverty persists, there is no true freedom."
When I was young (real young) I remember the bitter disappointment when I learned that there wasn't really a Spider-Man, Superman, Justice League or Jedi/Starfleet Academy. I like talking about justice. I like watching "Who Wants to Be a Superhero". Hero is a word that often gets tossed about by publicists and media campaigns, but I really do get the same sense of exhilaration that I got when I was young learning and reading of real champions of justice and equality.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. stated when accepting his Nobel Peace Prize,
"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant."
I won't even attempt to summarize it, but his Nobel lecture, "The Quest for Peace and Justice" is as appropriate now as it was then, as he describes poverty, war, nuclear threats and racial and religious discord. Again love - not the "sentimental and weak response which is little more than emotional bosh", but the love that is the "supreme unifying principle of life" plays a pivotal role in his challenge.

So, in my year of living from the heart, I want to thank Leigh Ann for posting this:
"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."

- John Wesley
and this:
"All men and women are born, live, suffer and die; what distinguishes us one from another is our dreams, whether they be dreams about worldly or unworldly things, and what we do to make them come about... We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live."

- Joseph Epstein
and to Scott for posting this:

"If we are to have peace on earth ... our loyalties must transcend our race, our tribe, our class, and our nation; and this means we must develop a world perspective. No individual can live alone, no nation can live alone, and as long as we try, the more we are going to have war in this world. We must either learn to live together as brothers or we are all going to perish together as fools."

Martin Luther King, Jr. 1967

and finally to Monica for reading this to me last year in front of a house in Kauai:

"People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."

Although these are credited to Mother Teresa (three Nobel laureates in one post), they are a modified version of Kent M. Keith's Paradoxical Commandments, the real inspiration for the title of this blog.

11 comments:

JamesF said...

Happy Belated Birthday.

And I would have never picked up on the origin of 'anyway' as the title without being explicitly told (but some people (ok, almost everyone (everyone except the people that haven't met me (and maybe even a few of them))) have said I'm known for being a tad unobservant).

mattfite said...

thank you james.

not that i thought it was a burning question in everyone's mind, but as i come up on my one year anniversary of going to hawaii, building a dust wall, and listening to that poem - i wanted to share its impact on me.

((very) well done (we indeed have a winner))

mattfite said...

don, what a wonderful birthday wish, and certainly i hope the same for you and marcia. i'll gladly share that day with neil.

there should be no mystery - you're an inspiration to me, we care about the same things, and you're pretty darn funny.

i've updated my profile on here to finally reveal my age - which is now at 38, and holding.

swtrble said...

Happy Birthday Matt. You deserve to be the center of attention every once in awhile..

mattfite said...

thank you s..., i mean, trouble.

Scott said...

Happy birthday, Matt. You're right on with the quotes. Keep up the good fight.

mattfite said...

Thank you Scott. There is another passage in Dr. King's Nobel lecture that reminded me of your quote, This call for a worldwide fellowship that lifts neighborly concern beyond one's tribe, race, class, and nation is in reality a call for an all-embracing and unconditional love for all men.

The Dogfather said...

Am I too late for the belated birthday wishes? I can not out say anything already said, so I will just send a nod to you, and wish you continued strength and happiness.

mattfite said...

i'll nod back, and say something profound, like "sup?"

Mark Lundquist said...

Happy Birthday.

I really like the Paradoxical Commandments, very inspiring and challenging.

mattfite said...

Jo and Mark. Thank you both. Jo, even if you can't sign on to comment - you can always send an email. maybe i should turn off the 'registered blogger' user feature...

Mark: I'm glad you like them. I've referred to them often throughout this year, when I needed inspiration. They are challenging, but it's nothing you haven't heard before, e.g. "no pain no gain".

Isn't there some analogy about doing the same thing over and over again, each time expecting a different outcome is the equivalent of insanity? I guess with these, I began to realize that the outcome that could change isn't the world, but me.