Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Thank you

I just re-read my last two posts, after the several emails and comments I got asking me what's up.

Two things strike me as extremely weird: first, those who knew me before I left on my adventure (usually I call it my journey) may remember how extremely private I can be - and then here I am living out this adventure in full view of both of the people that read it. Second, I'm ok with it.

I'm glad people are interested in post-Katrina/Rita Louisiana, Habitat for Humanity or me. In fact, I'm shocked and amazed that some people have found this site by accident or have just continued to follow it. In fact, one person found it on the Internet and then I met him at Camp Premier. How weird is that?

I'm not doing any of this anymore because I want to, I feel like I have to. After my experience in St. Bernard Parish, I think I'm catching my breath before the next thing. Now, I'm not certain what it is next, but it needs to be important, and make a difference. I finally left St. Bernard because I believe I did make a difference, but it took a big chunk of me to do it. Maybe if I get my second wind I'll go back.

The common theme I hear from those who have come to Camp Premier and gone back to the world is that they've been changed somehow. No one really can describe how they've changed, but they have and often it seems they're missing something they didn't even know they had to lose. I believe that when you meet and work with good people for a good cause, that everything else seems less important. Maybe it's just a new perspective. A rebirth? It definitely can be spiritual. I think my change has been more resolve.

Anyway, I'll be in Baton Rouge for at least the week. We're finishing new and old business right now - building a new one this week in fact, and finishing ones that have been sitting too long. A team from AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) is here and they're doing what they do, getting things done. That's there motto by the way.

If you want to do something good for the country, then write your Congressman or woman and your Senator and ask them to reinstate funding for NCCC. The St. Bernard Recovery Project wouldn't exist without them (69,000 lives they are directly affecting), there are a great number of teams in the Gulf region helping with hurricane recovery (I've met and worked with six so far and the Washington Post reports that at least half of their number are in this region at any given time), and they are our nation's motivated young leaders. Our President decided that $22M was too much to spend on the 1100 18-24 year olds and the 80 staff that support them.

If you're on the fence about volunteering because of time, work or family - then please write a letter and endorse someone doing it on your behalf. They're only paid $13/day and they do more for that money than you can imagine.

I urge you to visit one of the following sites for more information, links to sample letters and addresses/fax numbers:

3 comments:

Chandle said...

Thanks for the shout out, Matt. I don't know how we'd put in shelves without you.... or take them down for that matter.

mattfite said...

anyone can do it right the first time, it takes talent like mine to figure out more than one way to screw up such a simple job.

mattfite said...

i'm not certain if that is encouraging or discouraging, but i believe that it's true and i appreciate it.