Saturday, March 25, 2006

First House


The Baton Rouge HfH affiliate completed their first house of the year. The LSU Greek house started last Saturday and we finished it this afternoon. Yes, their are a few punch-list items, but the dedication is tomorrow and we hope to get Barbara in her house in the next couple of weeks.

It was an eventful week: we had a volunteer who returned to us from North Carolina to help us last Saturday and today, neighbors who were less than inviting, a homeowner that can make anyone smile, three daily shifts of LSU fraternities and sororities and a team of NCCC learning finish carpentry.

While it is no secret I've not quite found my place, it was good to come back and work with two of my very favorite co-workers, Mike Bryant and Tom Pruyn. Mike has been my supervisor and friend since I've come to this affiliate, and this week he performed the duties of house-leader for the very first time. The proof is in the product - the house was completed on schedule and Mike grew into his new role and exceeded any expectations anyone could have had. He met every challenge with a smile - the house, the homeowner and the volunteers benefited from his new role.

If anyone could ever choose a mentor, they should choose Mr. Tom. He has been with the Baton Rouge affiliate since it began and has accumulated more years of construction experience than I've been alive. You will not meet a kinder soul with more wisdom and dignity, nor one with such concern for justice and tolerance in our world. He continually surprises me with his grace and sincerity.

It has been my distinct privilege to work with these two. They have certainly helped make this experience worth it.

I won't attend Sunday's dedication. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to return to St. Bernard for a couple of days. I'm not working - I'm just taking time off and seeing people I miss, talking about the future of the project, and trying to gather enough information to make my next decision.

1 comment:

Chandle said...

....and the house looks great too! We love you Barbara, Mr. Tom and Mike!