Thursday, September 14, 2006

Veni, Vidi, I had my ass handed to me

The Thrivent build started on time, and after two build days, we're still more or less on schedule. Congratulations to the house leader as she's really earning her stripes. That means that this weekend we start three new houses in Hidden Cove.

I say we, but I don't really feel it. It's odd not being a hands-on part of the build, after helping with the previous ones since I arrived. Perhaps that's the reason why I resigned today. September 29 will be my last day at Habitat for Humanity of Greater Baton Rouge.

Oh, I'm certain that some (all three) may be curious 'what's next.' And, if I knew I would tell you. I will continue to seek a job with a non-profit or other organization that is trying to improve the quality of life for someone else, that can provide me with some way of finding something I do well, and using it to help others.

One year ago, I was working with a team of volunteers in Kauai building a dust wall to enclose a 150-house development during its construction. We were rushing to reinforce the wall because there were three tropical storms moving toward us. I was incensed at what I felt was a lack of coherent response at the time to the devastation of hurricane Katrina, and within another week - Hurricane Rita would begin to threaten Texas and Louisiana. One week later I determined that I had started something that I wasn't going to be able to finish anytime soon. I am thankful for that group of friends that I made and the new ones that welcomed me in Baton Rouge. Frankly, I'm grateful for everyone that I've met for this entire year. In one year, I began and ended my time with AmeriCorps, and I have completed the hardest year of my life, and the best year of my life.

I have no idea what the future holds. But I promise that I will spill it here first.

ad imo pectore

4 comments:

JamesF said...

So how are you doing stuff, like, I don't know, buying food?

mattfite said...

[mattfite shrugs]

perhaps you've noticed i don't always make the wisest decisions? well, if nothing else, it should be entertaining as i start to say things like 'i'm getting pretty hungry', or 'i sure wish i had some gasoline.' and then finally, 'please - don't take my internet.'

this weekend, i'll list all the jobs to which i've applied. and then, i'll post a link to my paypal account.

Mark Lundquist said...

I saw this as an email sigature and thought it was appropriate.

The power of man's virtue should not be measured by his special efforts, but by his ordinary doings.
--Blaise Pascal

Many of us look forward to what your next "ordinary doing" turns out to be. Maybe it's helping suffering employees in a growing technology company, or not.

mattfite said...

sincerely, thank you guys.

i'm not going to start sweating for a day or two, but in the next two weeks - i'll no longer have a job and i will have a lease that needs to be renewed.

this blog may take an entirely new turn...