Thursday, September 28, 2006

Guilt, or something like it.

Never underestimate my susceptibility to guilt, ability to swallow my pride, or desire to appease beautiful women -- and Mike (who is beautiful, but that's beside the point). Regardless of the reason, I have elected to stay with the affiliate for at least another week.

Oh the rationale seems, ahem, rational enough: we are having a blitz this week and there is another one next week. Or, there is the fact that I am responsible for ordering $52,000 of material from the Home Depot that is trickling in and needs to be accounted for. (You want to know how to get help when you go in the Home Depot? You let them know you're coming in with a check for $52,000. OK, you want irony -- I actually had to wait.) Or, I did promise to provide the affiliate with a slick web-enabled front-end to a relational database full of house information, and then I spent all of my time going out and helping to build houses, or making phone calls, or spending money at the place I've already plugged twice (they deserve it and more because they gave us such a great discount on material. That is in large part due to an employee of theirs who believes in the work that Habitat is doing. Thank you Travis.) Finally, there is the fact that the blitzes take a large toll on the construction staff (the one's out there actually banging their fingers and sweating), and if they need help I'll certainly do what I can for them.

Anyway (bringing it home now, boss), I'll stay next week and help out in the office or on site if necessary. After that, I'll probably work for a week from my apartment getting the aforementioned web thingy up and running (because that's how long it take to develop great software, right guys?), and then I'll finally take my car to the shop, pay my water bill, beg for food and internet access and a job. I promise, I'm not wishy-washy -- just easy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no wonder we got along so well. I love my men easy. ;-) HA!

mattfite said...

we'll just keep that between us.