Thursday, October 12, 2006

Guess what?

So, this is old news to some but I will be at the Baton Rouge affiliate for at least another week. In a previous post, I joked that it only takes a week to write good software. Of course that's not true, but I did make quite a bit of progress. So much so, that I've been asked to extend it for others to use. I think I can make the updates in another week or so -- and then maybe I'll feel like my job is done.

I've begun wondering: did I just spend the last year developing domain knowledge so that I can properly address what was a systems engineering problem all along? If so, then maybe I'll just pretend that I intended to do this investigative style, requirements analysis all along. It sounds like a reasonable enough rationalization of my year here. I'll go with that for now.

If any are interested, in the future I'll post about how simple/powerful/extensible Ruby, Rails and PostgreSQL are and a description of how any of this applies to building houses. Be forewarned, I'm an average embedded software guy, a decent engineer, but now I'm trying to tackle MVC, again. ugh.

No comments: