Monday, February 06, 2006

A Little Background

There was no construction this weekend. The Habitat BR staff and board instead participated in a two-day retreat designed to plan the upcoming build year and maybe provide a bit of motivation. Two things came out of this that I thought I would share:
1) This organization has sustained a production growth rate (number of houses) of about 14% for the past decade.
2) In one month this affiliate will begin its efforts to double current production for the year - a production growth rate of about 100% (40 houses, 20 this spring).

This affiliate has a lot working for it. It has a strong presence in its community, support of Habitat International and some good people behind it. It has a record of meeting its goals.

But, can you believe that kind of rate increase?? Just look at it:

Anyway, it all starts March 11 and leads up to a glorious 14 house blitz at the end of May. Please keep your fingers crossed.

My last bit of news is that this Sunday, I'm heading off to work at the St. Bernard Recovery Project.
I'm still not certain if I'm staying one week or two, but this should be quite an experience. This isn't strictly Habitat, instead Habitat is providing volunteers to work with St. Bernard Parish and FEMA to determine which, if any, houses can be salvaged. Mostly, I believe we're expecting to tear down quite a few houses. There will be very little construction in the near term. I believe these guys need help, if anyone desires to do so. Hopefully, I'll have access to the Internet there, and will update the site next week.

No comments: